Monday, September 25, 2006

Purpose Driven Split?

There is a lot of chatter in church circles these days about Rick Warren's best selling book The Purpose Driven Life, and the 40 Days of Purpose campaigns it has spawned. There is also a lot of talk about the division it is coming to create in churches all across the country that have adopted Rev. Warren's methods. Ingrid at Slice of Laodicea posted a link to this article at EthicsDaily.com dealing with the aftermath of PDL at the well-known Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, TN. This Southern Baptist congregation of nearly 30,000 is in an uproar, all because of the PDL.

Why have I posted this? Well, my church (Brookfield Assembly of God) went through the 40 Days of Purpose some time ago, and while I wouldn't say the church has split yet, there are quite a few people (many long-time members of the church) who have left in the time since we completed the campaign. I myself haven't yet made it through the book, and now I'm not so sure I want to. Stories such as this are becoming all too common, it seems. I'd like to think that I haven't seen the telltale signs of my church slipping away from true Christianity. Part of me thinks that maybe I haven't seen these signs because I don't want to; another part of me tells me I need to keep reading, keep researching, and above all, get into the Scriptures to find out what God has to say about the matter. Which, of course, is what I intend to do.

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home